The month of February has been nothing but bitter cold and snow, and most of us have been hiding indoors wishing for Spring. For our furry family members, that can make for a boring day. Here’s a fun game to help chase away the Winter blues. It’s called The Muffin Tin Game, and can be entertaining for both dogs and cats!
Here’s what you will need:
- 12 cup muffin tin (for toy breed dogs and cats, you can use a 24 cup mini muffin pan)
- 12 tennis balls (for toy breed dogs you can use mini tennis balls, for cats you can use ping pong balls)
- Treats that have a strong odor, like chicken, Swiss cheese or even homemade treats (for cats you can use tuna or even cat nip)
What this game does:
- Gets them using their nose to scent out where the treat is.
- Makes them use their brain to figure out how to get to the treat.
How to play the game:
Start by cutting the treats into tiny, pencil eraser-sized pieces. Place a treat in every cup, then put a tennis ball in each cup, over top of the treat. Put the muffin tin on the floor, and watch the fun begin! If your dog or cat is hesitant, at first, you might need to lift up a tennis ball and let them get the treat, but they should soon figure out what to do. After they get the hang of the game, make it more challenging by putting treats in only some of the cups!
As we wait for warmer weather, why not break the boredom, stimulate your pet’s brain, and entertain them at the same time. Have fun! If you would like to share pictures or video of your pet playing the Muffin Tin Game, go to our Facebook page!